Wayler One Design

Wayler One Design

I am the proud owner of  a very old  Wayler one Design  that   I purchased for a 100 dollars . I have had great fun  sailing it with a modern rig  and  stand up paddling it  . I really didn't know much of the history of this board and had fun looking it up .

The board  was licensed by Hoyle Schwitzer and built in Holland in the early 1980's . It was  12ft 6" long  68cm (26 3/4 inches) wide  and  253 liters in volume and weighed 55lbs  and made out of  poly foam construction .   It was a very popular board at the time and raced in large one design classes .  Here is a picture from an old windsurfing book  of a Wayler one design reggata .

Here is a list of the "best seller" list   which shows  the wayler  as  the top board in 1983
Wind Power’s 23 Year, Best Sellers List:

1983 – 1985 Wayler polyethelen longboard w/6.0 non batten dacron sail 12 ft 250 liters 52 lbs
1986 – 1989 Mistral Superlight Fiberglas longboard w/6.3 batten mylar sail 12 ft 250 liters 35 lbs
1990 – 1995 Mistral One-Design Fiberglas performance longboard w/7.4 cambered monofilm sail
The Olympic Board for96, 00, 04
footstraps masttrack 12 ft 235 liters 33 lbs
1997 – 2001 Mistral EquipeII Carbon performance longboard, fstraps, masttrack
12ft 258liters 28lbs
2002 – 2006 Mistral Prodigy Fiberglas performance Hybrid board w/8.5 camber monofilm sail
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-340/mini_HPIM1288.jpeg

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Wayler One Design

Here is   a side view of the Wayler  , rocker in the nose ,flattish  square tail
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-340/mini_HPIM1283.jpeg

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Here is an upside down  view of the wayler with  the daggerboard in ( it is  a slot type daggerboard that can be pulled out but  does pivot from straight up and down to  a swept back position ) ..   the original owner of this board was a  avid racer and  cut his rear fin down to a nubbin ...  and  said that that made the board faster ..  all I can say  is that  with  a modern  7.3  rig on board  , the  board glides supper smooth  in  3mph  winds . on the big  daggerboard and nubbin fin  ,   a la  the Starboard Serenity
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-340/mini_HPIM1284.jpeg

The  nose has  a lot of volume and  the board is a semidisplacement  hull  with round rails , and a roundish  shape . . here is  detail of the nose .. I have the weird sensation of   riding standing up on a sailboat .. ( never had experience sailing Div2  windsurf boards )
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-340/mini_HPIM1285.jpeg

The   mast step  is  a proprietary  one  that was exclusive to wayler , I think ,  I used on old f2   comet extension on the mast step  .. works fine to sail my modern rigs and has  two  positons  one  forward and one aft . .   Great  to  glide in  light winds, sails fantastic up wind in moderate winds,   easy to tack  but very difficult for me to gybe correctly  , maybe  I am just very rusty on longboard gybes  current/smile !

Best 100 bucks  I ever spent .!!
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-340/mini_HPIM1286.jpeg

Here are a variety of other comments I found on the web about the Wayler one design

"Kevin credits his younger brother, Andy, for getting him into windsurfing. In the fall of 1982, Kevin, a sailor and avid water-skier, saw Andy windsurfing on a Wayler on Lake Winnebago in white cap conditions. He instantly saw the excitement of waterskiing and his love of sailing in the new sport. Kevin asked to use Andy's board and that was the beginning of his love affair with windsurfing. By 1989 he held the Mistral World Championship in his class."
(By the way  the Kevin  in the   internet comment above  , is Kevin Gratton  2006 US Windsurfer of the  year
http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=44496

His Brother Andy  is still racing the  Wayler on occasion
here is a    piece from the 2008   Menominee  Regatta held in 10-20 mph winds and big waves  this August  in the Midwest /USA

"Andy Gratton broke his equipe on Saturday and on Sunday he opted to sail the Wayler with a 5.9 meter Wayler sail. While the Wayler couldn’t keep up with the longboards, it also has no foot straps and took a lot of skill to pilot."  )

Other comments   from around the web:
"The Wayler is still a reliable and stable board no doubt - I used to have 4 different ones and raced them in one-design, but you're right, the nasty mast base was a real pain and would only fit Wayler. It had an hour-glass U-joint with a prong that went into the female base-joint (one of two slots you see in your board.) - and it twists to lock down. They would pop out at times if you did a rail-ride."

"Worst board - No challenge: Wayler (bought 1982, sold 1989). However, in it's time, it was considered to be one of the more user-friendly boards around. In comparison to modern boards - utterly appalling.

Worst sail: Wayler 5.9m pinhead. Complete with emblazoned slogan "Happiness is a hand-held sail" . fitted on a 460cm length of scaffold, and had a 2.7m long boom - only very loosely attached at either end"

Besides sailing it we are  paddling it  , here is  my wife stand up paddling the thing
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-340/mini_HPIM1252.jpeg

Hi - I know i'm late to this posting, but I thought i'd add that the Wayler was my first board, back in about 1983 in UK.  It was my pride and joy - even though it weighed a ton and was a handful in anything more than 10 knots of wind.  Waylers were pretty successful on the race circuit until the design was disqualified because of it's semi-displacement design.  It was caught in the middle of the flatter Div 1 boards like the Mistral Competition, and the rounded Div 2 boards.   Moreover, this was at the time that 'funboards'  started appearing; Waylers quickly became obselete.  I think they tried to branch out to other designs, but nothing seemed to stick apart from the Ypsi - a shorter, flatter board with the more contemporary rounded transom.   
Nevertheless, it was an easy, fun board to sail, and a step above Windsurfer one design in terms of sophistication and speed.   Had a lot of fun on it, won quite a few races.   Good memories - thanks for the reminder.

peteinsf
useravatar
8 Posts

The Wayler Ypsi was also a great board (82-83?).
Easy to manoeuver in strongs winds, great for freestyle and fun sailing.

pierrec45
useravatar
165 Posts
Ancient Mariner

"pierrec45":wkguur1n wrote:

The Wayler Ypsi was also a great board (82-83?).
Easy to manoeuver in strongs winds, great for freestyle and fun sailing.

Found   some pics of the Wayler Ypsi   seems like it still had the  semi displacement nose but    a narrower , cut  out   tail and   retractable modern looking  daggerboard..

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/jjue/waylerypsi1.jpg

Also had footstraps ..

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/jjue/waylerypsi2.jpg

Hi,

I have bought a Wayler YPSI. Cheap deal came with 3 sails 2 booms etc. A "complete" rig I was told.

Any chance someone can post a close-up picture of the mast base for the Wayler YPSI that is complete and works.

My setup has the mast base and universal joint and plugs into the Wayler fine.

Its just that when I turn the base to "lock" it in place, it just keeps turning till the end butts up against the portion of the base that is above the board. Turning the otherway will eventually cause the end plastic with the ribs to drop off the end of the thread.

So what am I missing?

From a picture earlier in this thread it looks as if there is some rubber that should be present between the lower end of the mast base that goes into the board that gets squashed as you tighten the base. As it gets squashed, it pushes outwards and creates grip to keep the mast in place?

Any help much appreciated as I am sitting looking at a rig that is begging to get into the water while I watch others flying past having lots of fun!

Thanks.

Richard

DoingNZ
useravatar
2 Posts

I borrow an ordinary Wayler occasionally. You are right about the piece of rubber. Its a neat system and works well:)

I'll go down and take a pic, I expect the system is the same on the YPSI.

I have just been down to measure up the UJ on the old Wayler, mine is a School Board with a 5.9m sail. I have attached some pictures.

The "rubber " cylindrical piece you are missing is 22mm diameter, it has an inside diameter of approx 11.5mm and is 18mm long. It seems to be made of a soft yellowish polyurethane as it appears to have the same texture and colour as soft skateboard wheels.

Hope this helps.
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-1947/mini_Wayler-joint-dimensions.jpg
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-1947/mini_Wayler-joint-parts.jpg
http://lbwindsurfing.com/j15/components/com_agora/img/members/-1947/mini_Wayler-UJ-Urethane-collar.jpg

Again: in my experience nearly all shops have a bucket of bits & pieces at the back, you might find what you need in there.
I was perusing old magazines (1983) with Wayler pics. Actually was a great board to sail.

pierrec45
useravatar
165 Posts
Ancient Mariner

THANK YOU for the time and effort to take those pictures and the very detailed information and pictures for the missing part!!!!

That is going to make it very much easier to go to the shops and show them the bit I am looking for. Your suggestion about soft skateboard wheels is an interesting angle.

Thanks again.

Richard

DoingNZ
useravatar
2 Posts

[color=#804080] I am STILL the proud owner of a Wayler YPSI! It is still in mint condition (especially the 4.9 original sail! I got it when I first started windsurfing in 1983 and it is still used today - by my kids now too! LOL! I have a 6.3 Fencer sail that I like to use with it too - make it really hydroplane when the wind is up. The skeg, retractable daggerboard and mastfoot are still originals and still in awesome condition. The two holes that are mentioned are for light wind surfing (the fore hole) and heavier winds (the aft hole of course), and the balance effect is quite obvious when these "adjustments" are made according to the wind conditions. We use this board as a kayak also - LOTS of fun! We call her "Tipsy Ypsi" for obvious reasons when we stand up on it (without the mast and sail) and just play on her! LOL! My kids have learned to sail on her, as well as a dog of ours many years ago. This is truly a family funboard, and will continue to be so for many years to come. I still prefer sailing "Tipsy" rather than shortboard - just sentimental I guess! Surf's up!

YPSIsurfergal
useravatar
1 Posts

I continue to enjoy my old school Wayler windsurfer.  I have it rigged with a modern 7.3 rig and it glides superbly in l light winds.   I enjoyed this recent You Tube video from Portugal. Son videod his Dad still at on his  Wayler with original rig, freestyling.  The Wayler although very heavy has a nice narrow semidisplacement nose and  is quite fast in light winds as you can see in the end of this video .

Edited by: jackj - Sep-11-12 16:17:21

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
arqpor8
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: